When my belly was large and in-charge pregnant with my E, the activity of choice was researching baby products. Hooray for blogs and more blogs that did exactly what i am doing today- posting about the "must haves" of new baby life! I appreciated people giving me tips of what's needed and what's not needed...it was like a little flickering light in the sea of ENDLESS baby garb! So before you go down the isles of target with a scanner thingy (aren't those the coolest?) check out the things I absolutely could not do without!
On a side note, I want to make homemade signs and go wave them down by our local mall, like people who believe in stuff often do, and my sign would say "BUY QUALITY BABY PRODUCTS!" Haha, maybe that's a little extreme, but I'm all about the idea that good products make room for the good stuff in life. They let you cruise through the mundane with lightening speed so you can get to the stuff that matters: loving on your people well. And maybe that's a helpful thought for you, too, as your cringing about spending money on various baby supplies. I think that products are a means to an end - they help us have simplified lives that make room for happier, healthier, less worn out, less fuss days. And i don't know about you, but i think thats by golly worthy of investing in.
So there's a little philosophy for your day (ha), and now I will share with you the nine products I use every.single.day. Follow along with the pictures from left to right and click to links to find the source!
1. Lily-Jade Diaper Bag I just want to say: you need this bag. Have you ever needed something in a hurry from your purse (i.e, keys, wallet, chapstick) and had to dig and dig to find it? Well, that's all fine and dandy if you're a single person, but add a baby to the equation and digging to find that paci when they're screaming or digging to find the keys when its raining and your little is getting soaked is just not so cool. Lily-Jade has more pockets than a you could ever dream up, and I promise you won't loose a thing. The other best feature? The "diaper bag" part comes out. That way you can transition from mom with baby to mom without baby outings without dumping everything on the floor to change the contents of your bag. GENIUS!!
2. Baby Jogger City Select. This stroller isn’t one you will have to get rid of and replace when you have baby number two. Nope! You just add another seat on to the frame. (Let’s get a round of applause for THAT!) It drives like a Mercedes and i just pop her carseat on and off of there when running errands, using the bottom part for a shopping cart. Boom.
3. Clip- On Nursing light. Feedings happen in the dark at night, and, well, you kind of need to see what you’re doing without turning on the lamp and waking hubby up! So say goodbye to the blinding light of your iPhone that you’re terrified of dropping in your little one’s face, and say hello to the soothing soft light that actually clips on your shirt.
4. Belly Binder. This saved my life. If you’re a c-section mama, it reduces pain by mega notches just because it puts pressure on the incision, lets you walk around and tend to baby without wincing in pain, gets you that flat belly in a few days time, and helps things not feel like they're going to fall out the first time you try and walk. I thanked God for this every single day I wore it.
5. Nursing Cami. Let’s all stop and cheer for being able to nurse WITHOUT flashing everyone with your belly and WITHOUT having to unhook two straps (your nursing bra strap as well as your nursing tank strap). ONE strap to unhook because this tank just attaches to your bra. I wear it under everything. Its super high quality material and keeps all the curves smoothed out, too ;)
6. Nursing Bra. Just treat yourself and go buy this one. I tried a million from all the places like target and motherhood maternity, and this one just wins. Its pricey, but you will live in it - day and night. It doesn’t give you the saggy “I’m a nursing mom” look, and it is the softest material around.
7. Miracle Swaddle. So the nurses will show you how to swaddle your baby in the hospital, and you will think it looks super easy! You will then get home and try to swaddle your baby and realize it is NOT super easy. SO, order this swaddle that stays in place without having to be a master at blanket origami. And everybody knows that swaddled baby = rested baby.
8. Rock N’ Play. On every single blog post about good baby products that i read, everyone said to get one of these. On top of that, all of my friends that just had babies also told me to get one. Well, I thought I would be the hero and not get one and use this super expensive bassinet thing instead. Well, on day five of little to no sleep, my friend rescued me and brought one over. From then on, we got sleep!! So I would suggest you learn from my mistakes and get one.
9. Medela Hand Pump. I saved this product for last because its the best of all of them. When your milk comes in and you’re super in pain from just too much milk in there? Use it! When you need to cook dinner and baby also needs to eat? Think ahead, use it, and let hubby feed her! When baby doesn’t eat very much in a feeding and you’re leaking everywhere? Use it! When the family needs to leave at 5 o’clock to be somewhere and baby also needs to eat at 5 o’clock? Sit in the backseat and feed her a bottle with one hand while you pump with the other hand! haha. I’ve pumped in the car on date nights, in the restroom at stores, and everywhere else you can possibly imagine. No cords, no being hooked up to a wall, just like four pieces that click together, can be thrown in your diaper bag, and will save your life.
And there you have it! Pardon the over dramatic-ness of it all, but when a mom likes her baby products, a mom LIKES her baby products. What can i say :)
Happy nesting to you and I hope these products provide you with less fuss and more joy - freeing you to have space for what matters most!